Thursday, October 05, 2006

Turkey Week

This coming weekend is Thanksgiving. My Grandma has booked a hall in Tweed for my huge family to gettogether and eat on Saturday. Usually we all meet up at someone's house but this year Grandma wanted to treat us all. She's very excited about it. It should be fun. I haven't seen some of my cousins in a couple of years so it will be nice to see them all.

With a holiday comes all the fun at school for Lauren. They are doing a Thanksgiving unit this week. She made a "Tom the turkey" craft where she gave him multiple eyes and says he's a monster turkey. She also did a cut and paste page of things she is thankful for, apples, grapes and cucumbers. Apparently she also was going to add pears but ran out of time. She loved that one so much that last night while supper was cooking we did our own at home. She insisted it had to all be food. I picked pineapples and mushrooms, Jay picked cantaloupe and Lauren chose grapes, apples, cookies and cake. It was pretty funny, she was pretty excited that we all liked cookies. She's getting pretty handy with her little scissors these days. I'm just afraid we'll forget to put them away and someone will get a haircut when I'm not looking. I already watched Lainey pick up the gluestick yesterday thinking it was chapstick and she started to put it on. That's when I jumped up, my laptop hit the floor and I ran her to wash her lips. Luckily Jay was able to pop the keyboard back in for me. :o)

As I type this Lainey is playing with her shadow in the kitchen. She's discovered this new friend in the last week. She can say shadow now and it takes us a lot longer to climb the stairs since she stops to play with her shadow on the way up. I'm guessing this has something to do with the episode of Max and Ruby where Max plays with his shadow. Who says kids don't learn from tv? he he he

Lauren is still crying when I drop her off at school. This morning she didn't want to go into the playground, she just stood with Lainey and I until the bell rang. Then the tears started to flow and I gave her a big hug and kiss and sent her to line up. That's when Lainey started to cry quite loudly. Lauren seems to be fine once she gets into school and starts an activity. She's been having good days. However it still chokes me up every morning when I have to send her off in tears. Up to this point in her life I have always been there to comfort her when she's sad. This is one of those times when I have to let her go but it's just so much harder than I had ever imagined. I spend my morning trying to keep busy but when I think of her I get all teary and choked up wishing I could be there with her. I know she'll get used to things soon but until then this is killing me! I think this week I am very thankful that Lauren only has to be in school for the mornings rather than all day. I think a full day would be way too much just now. (for both of us)

Look at the time, almost time to go get my pumpkin. I'd better get moving.

1 comment:

meghan said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I hope that Lauren's turkey of thanks will soon include school! xoox