Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Lollypops for Breakfast


My girls have had the same cold since the second week of school. It hasn't been getting better, just worse. Last week it moved into their chests with a yucky cough starting up. I was thinking I might take them to the doctor but was on the fence. I rarely run to the doctor for colds but this was getting crazy. Then Lauren came home from school on Friday complaining that her ear was really hurting her. That was it, I called and our doc was gone for the weekend so we went to the urgent care in her clinic. We lucked out and got to go straight in to see the nice doctor. This was Lauren's first check-up where she was non-violent also, a big step for her. Last time she had kicked our doctor several times and cried like crazy. This time she was fine... a few tears but I was very proud. Anyway, both my girls are on anti-biotics now. Lauren's sore ear is likely an ear infection and I don't want to mess with my girl's hearing.

They are both still feeling somewhat sick still. On Friday afternoon Lauren spent the afternoon in and out of sleep and then we finally put her to bed around 7 and she slept till almost 8 Saturday morning. Poor little thing. She was a lot better Saturday though.

Yesterday while Lainey was napping and Jay was refinishing furniture in the garage Lauren and I went out to attempt to rake some leaves. We have I think 8 big (40 years old) trees. They are beautiful trees but they sure have a lot of leaves. I think we had about 60 or so bags last year and we still had some left on the lawn. Lauren used her rake for a few minutes and then decided she's rather just jump in my piles and throw them back on the lawn (I wasn't too pleased with that). I kept at it and raked up 7 bags. That was only about a 5th of our lawn or less and the trees are still full of leaves. It's very depressing when you work so hard and then the next morning you look and the lawn is covered again. Fall used to be my favorite time of year.... now.... not quite so much. It was a nice day and I actually enjoyed it. The thing is there will be several more days of raking in my future. It gets a little old after the 3rd or 4th time. :o)

This morning I had to wake Lainey up to get her ready to take Lauren to school.. She's feeling yucky. She freaked out when I tried to take her nightie off. We were running a bit late so I ended up letting her wear the nightie with her trackpants on and her coat. The only way she would wear shoes and socks was with a bribe and I knew it. I gave her one of the herbal lollypops I bought for the girls. I just tell myself it's to sooth her sore throat. It's not a normal lolly pop that I fed my baby for breakfast. :o) Did I mention I have the cold too.... not thinking that clearly. This morning I was the Mom in the kindergarten area holding the toddler with a night and lollypop. I'm sure some of them understood but probably some were thinking I was a bit looney. In my state of sickness and such... I really don't care what they think though. None of us were up for the roaring tantrum Lainey was starting up. Sometimes us Moms have to just do what works and gets up through the moment.

I really need to write here more often. These posts are getting way too long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it!! I love it!! That's real parenthood right there.
I'll tell you what I bet the other moms were thinking..."What will the other moms think that my child is ________"