Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Purple P's

My girls have a cold. Lauren was feeling ok this morning so I took her to school. I learned my lesson today.
When I went to pick her up at noon I was curious how the day had gone but with no phone call I ass-u-me-d that all was well. Then it happened, Lauren's teacher came outside before the class... she headed towards me. Oh oh I thought.... what happened. It turns out that early in the morning the class was about to finder paint purple p's (the letter they are learning to print). Well Lauren wasn't having any of that. She burst into tears and just "lost it", she's always had issues with finger painting. The same thing happened in her craft class in the spring. That time I brought her home and we got really messy with our own finger paint and she was good to go next class. Apparently that lesson had worn off and Lauren spent the morning today crying... the kind where they gasp for air... she cried through craft, story time, gym class and recess too. Her teacher told me she had almost called but was afraid calling this early in the year might lead to more episodes... ie.. If I don't like something, I just have to cry and Mommy will take me home.. I understood but at the same time knowing she was feeling a bit yucky I felt awful. Maybe I should have just kept her home this morning, or maybe it was just the whole dislike of finger paint and not her cold at all... Not sure.

Anyway, Lauren and I walked home with Lainey in the wagon. It was a long walk with Lauren's little legs so we had a big talk about her issues this morning. She told me she only likes to paint with me. I told her that I learned to paint like I do (actually not all that great but to her I'm a master artist) at school. Now that she knows I used to like to paint at school she is thinking it might be fun. Also after lunch we got out our finger paints and painted lots of purple p's and also a little surprise for Daddy to put in his office. I think our little paint therapy session may have worked. I'll be crossing my fingers tomorrow when/if she goes back.

--------

Also Jay and I tagged along with some friends to Niagara Falls for the weekend. My parents were watching the girls for us so we could celebrate the big 5th anniversary. We met the friends in an outlet mall, then went out for a late dinner, drinks (something we rarely do) and then hit the casino... It was a fun time. Also on the way home Jay got a call and spent most of the drive trying to solve a problem at work. We ended up in his office so he could use his computer and talk on the phone. He ended up finding the problem and saving the day. Since we live out of town I hadn't been to the office since I was preggers with Lauren. It was nice to see his office (used to be a cubicle) and all the pics of the girls and Lauren's artwork hanging on his wall. It was also nice to be there to see him in action rather that hear all about it later. He complains about work a lot but those are the moments I can see he secretly loves every minute, especially the pats on the back when he saves that day's edition of the paper. It's like he's a newspaper superhero. he he... Maybe that is what I'll say next time someone asks me what he does. :o)

No comments: