Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Getting ready for School!!!!!

I have already mentioned the princess gear Lauren has ready for school in other posts. This morning we were practicing some of the things she'll have to do when she's on her own at school. We spent some time in the store one day letting her try to open various tupperware items and settled on a few that are easy to open. She will have snack time everyday so this is very important. :o) Anyway this morning we are practicing, she is drinking juice from her leakless juice cup and pretended to take snack out of a container. We also practiced opening the princess lunch bag's zipper. That was all cute on it's own. Then Lainey joined the fun. She grabbed a juice cup from the counter, and threw the lunch bag over her shoulder and started to walk around like a school girl. She walked up to the mirrors on our hall closet and looked at herself and also started to say "school". Too too cute.

I also learned yesterday why all the parents often wait for last minute to go back to school shopping. I had bought Lauren a back pack a few weeks back but recently when we pulled it out of the bag we realized it is way too big for her. We went up to our neighbourhood Zellers yesterday and found a perfect princess pink backpack that also came with a lunch bag on sale for only $7.50! I had spent $14 on the other one on sale earlier and lunchbags are usually $6 or more. I love a good bargain! We had already used the other backpack on holidays to carry toys around so it was nice to get a deal on it's replacement. :o)

Having all the right gear is one thing. Our other mission before school begins is to learn to print her name. We have been working with her on learning to write some letters in a workbook we bought her. I don't know how teachers do it. It takes so much patience to sit back and let her try over and over again to write the letters. She is getting better and actually wrote her name quite well the other night. Now we need to figure out a way for her to remember it without copying after our letters. Maybe I'll just buy her a pack of stickers with her name on them so she can smack em on when she's supposed to be writing her name. he he he .just kidding.... not a bad idea though. :o)

I also am wondering how to write her name on her shoes and bags etc. The teacher told us in the letter she sent out to make sure her name is on everything. I don't want to embarass her by writing in big letters with a magic marker or if I should buy those iron on labels kids used to have on their stuff at summer camp. I also have to still buy her new clothes, wish I knew what her little friends will be wearing. I don't want to over dress her or on the same note under dress her. The pressure of having a school girl are already starting. Who knew!

Well no school today so I'd better get back to the monkeys.

1 comment:

SC said...

What a fantastic idea to have Lauren try out the tupperware---remind me of that in three more years okay???