I write this blog to try to keep track of the events in the lives of my girls but my girls keep me so busy some days I don't have time to write about them. So a few days behind but I'm going to write about Lainey's birthday some more now.
My goodness, I no longer have a baby. My little Lainey isn't really much of a toddler anymore, I guess she's a pre-schooler or just a "big girl" now. She enjoyed her birthday quite a bit on Tuesday. The girls had a little time outside in the snow when we got home from school. I pulled the birthday girl around the backyard on our little sled. She was having a great time. She knew it was her day and wouldn't let Lauren have a turn but luckily Lauren was on a big high since it was someone's birthday.
After lunch the girls played a little and then it was naptime. While Lainey slept Lauren and I baked a chocolate cake. Lauren loves to bake things, even though it was Betty Crocker mix it was still fun. Then while the cake baked and cooled we wrapped up Lainey's presents. Lauren was in charge of the tape and then of taping a little chocolate ball onto each package. She loves to help with things like that. Once the wrapping was done Lauren layed down for a snooze herself.
This is where I should have checked to ensure I had a tub of icing in the cupboard, but I opted for doing a little laundry and seeing what Oprah was talking about. :o)
It wasn't too long and Lainey was up from her nap. Lauren woke up soon afterwards. It was time to ice the cake. The girls both were keen to help. Lainey had her little step stool ready, Lauren had an apron on. Then I found some icing..... opened it and found it was kinda shiny looking.... then noticed it was long expired. So being the really inexperienced baker that I am...panic set in....hmmmmm..... Ahhh yes I have some icing sugar in the cupboard... you must be able to make icing with that. :o) So I was saved, a little recipe and I was all set... it was just plain white but hey it was icing.
So the girls and I iced the cake and they decorated it with lots and lots of rainbow coloured sprinkles. I put some strawberries on it as well. It was a little lopsided but they had no idea. About this time Jay walked in the door, he made it home from Hamilton for his little girls big day.
It was time for the party to begin. We had one little meltdown from Lainey who really just wanted to have cake for dinner but that stopped when I brought her some pizza. She ate a lot of that which surprised me. Then it was time to sing Happy Birthday.... as my brother reminded me when I sent him a pic... she was sitting at our childhood table in our old dining room and also in my old spot at the table.... kinda neat.
Anyway, present time followed. Lainey opened the presents herself quite fast and was most excited about a game I gave her. It's a musical fish that has a fan in him.... you fill him up with these little pieces of tissue paper and attach a hose to him. Then when he's turned on the fan blows the papers up the the air and the girls catch them with little nets. That was a big hit.... the girls played it all night long.
Lauren was pretty good through the entire day but I could tell she was feeling a little jealous. She plans her birthdays all year long so I know she was wishing it was her day too. I had given her some special princess hair clips and that helped a little but overall she really did help me a lot to help her little sister have a great day.
So that was about it for the big day. Lots of fun was had by all....
Friday, February 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
sounds like the cake was perfect-o!! I love that Lainey's meltdown ended quickly when she realized she was having pizza for dinner.
Too funny.
Post a Comment