Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Bye Bye highchair

It's been about 4 years that we've had a highchair in our diningroom. We started in our first house with little baby Lauren, moved to this house where for a short time both girls were in highchairs. Lauren finally gave hers up when she was about 2 1/2. She would sit at the big table most of the time but her highchair was still there and came in handy for the really messy meals. I guess for 4 years I've been washing those highchair trays in the kitchen sink on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times. Well, those days are gone now.

Lainey has decided that she would like to sit at the "big table" all the time now. The highchair has become my new place to pile up stuff when I clear off the table at mealtime. I think it's about time to move it out of the diningroom. We're using 4 spots at the table now. It's pretty neat really, my little girl is getting so big.

There are issues with Lainey sitting at the big table now though... it's not all as simple as you might think. She's so used to being stuck in the highchair for the entire meal. Now that she's free in her big girl chair she can get down and wander around. She's starting to get a little better but there have been a lot of ups and downs in the last few weeks.

There was one meal I remember quite clearly. I think Jay was at work late so it was just the girls and I eating dinner. Lauren was sitting and eating her dinner, I was sitting and eating my dinner and Lainey was too. Lainey must have realized that she didn't have to sit still. This is when Lainey would take a bite of her food then she would get down and walk around.... it turned into a little game for her. It just got sillier and sillier. At one point Lainey got up, walked over to Lauren grabbed her hands and pulled her out of her chair. Then Lainey starts singing and the two of them are dancing around the diningroom. At that point it was pretty hard to keep a straight face.... we all had a good laugh... which actually motivated Lainey even more to keep up the show. Anyway, it's been somewhat entertaining but mealtime has grown into a longterm event in our house lately. Who knew getting through a meal could be so tiring. I thought the cooking was the part that would wear me out. My dinners are getting cold everynight while I chase Lainey back to her chair over and over again.

Good-bye highchair, it will seem funny not seeing you everyday. The diningroom will seem so grown-up without you there. Wooo hoooo!!!!!! That is until the puzzles and playdoh cover the table. he he

2 comments:

meghan said...

Hi there!!! I have been a bad reader lately, but I loved reading this - I can't BELIEVE they are OUT of high chairs!!! Sweet girls. xoxo

SC said...

What a rite of passage! Movin onward and upward!! Congrats to the little pea :)