Monday, February 19, 2007

Lainey's Big Girl Room

We've been toying with the idea of getting Lainey a bed for a few months. We had thought we might just start with a mattress on the floor so she wouldn't fall out to start. This weekend we finally decided to just do it all at once and get her a bed and mattress.

It started on Thursday, I took Lainey shopping and found some cute sheer curtains with butterflies on them. I actually had about 4 different styles of curtains and let Lainey make the final decision.... comes in handy when you can't decide. The same store had bedframes for sale. They were similar to the wooden IKEA bed that Lauren has and close in price to IKEA too... even better. So Friday the 4 of us ended up back at the store to check out the beds. We decided on a cute little one with a pull-out trundle bed under it. The trundle will be good for sleep-overs but mostly we picked that bed and the trundle came with it.

Jay built the bed on Saturday and we got Lainey all set up. She likes to lay in her "big girl bed" and to point out her "big girl curtains" while covered by her "big girl blanket" (comforter). It's pretty cute stuff. She's very proud of herself. It was sort of bitter sweet. On Friday night I knew it was my last night putting her (and quite possibly any baby!!!) to bed in her crib. That had me slightly choked up. I'm thrilled to be getting the freedom that comes with having 2 big girls but it's hard not to be a little moved by it all. I've been putting someone down in that crib for over 4 years.

So we moved the crib out to the garage, next to the highchair.... I held off on taking her rocking chair out. We still have a lot of snuggle time in that chair while reading bedtime stories. I'm not ready to take it out of her room just yet. Although she hasn't wanted stories the last few naps or bedtimes, she just wants to go straight to bed. She will get in her bed and under the covers and then say "night night" or "bye-bye Mommy"... that's my cue to go...aching heart and all. Last night she did invite me to lay down with her for a couple minutes and then she sat up and said, "all done" and sent me out. I guess big girls need their privacy at bedtime. :o)

My little Lainey is getting indepenent. It's pretty great but just like all big steps she's taken over the years it's going to take me a little getting used to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.