Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Our week summed up somewhat

Hi, It's Friday the 25th (date is off on this page)
I haven't been writing much this week. It's been one of those weeks where I just don't have much alone time to write. I've got girls near by now but they're glued to the tv for a moment.

This week had some ups and some downs. I'll try to catch you up on them here.

1. We met our insurance adjuster man and looks like all is going to be well with the whole garage robbery business. We can replace it all soon. They mostly just took tools, Jay's golf clubs and shop vac etc. They left all my stuff and lots of baby gear so that was good anyway. Jay is actually pretty excited to get some new golf clubs. Also installed a motion light above the garage door to deter the bad guys in the future.

2. Last Sunday was Lauren's final soccer game and the big soccer festival afterwards that they throw for the little ones. She had a blast. They had pizza, and juice and then they got tropheys and a bag full of candy and coupons. I think her favorite part of the day was eating the candy necklace from her bag. Then we went to the play park and the girls had fun on the slide and the big train there. They had bouncy tents and slides at the festival but Lauren is always a little nervous on those and also there were huge line-ups for them.

3. Lainey also enjoyed the park trip. When she was on the train we were making "choo choo" noises for her and Lauren. Then the entire drive home she was saying "chooo chooo". It was very cute, she puckers her lips way out when she says it. She's still saying it anytime someone mentions chewing or when the Thomas the train show comes on.

4. I read Lauren a book called "The Berenstein Bears Learn about Strangers", I had no idea all the stories she would make up after that one. I think our little talk about strangers went pretty well. She answers all the questions right when you ask her if she should go home from school with someone that says Mommy can't come today or if she should go with someone to look for their lost puppy. I still wonder though, I keep remembering an episode of Dr. Phil where they easily loured a little girl away from a park. I think her parents thought she knew better but she was easily swayed. I'm told schools are pretty secure these days so I'm not too too worried. Just one of those talks that we had to have. Now she keeps telling me stories of Princess' that have bad guys come to their house to take them away.... the princess always ends up ok but I think we'll have to have a few more talks. :o)

5. Lainey has become a parrot even more this week. She seems to repeat a lot more of what I say. She still only talks one word at a time but says a lot more. Last night I was saying "sooooo" to Lauren while I was about to tell her the plan for supper. ( a little picnic in the back yard) when Lainey piped in "soooo", "sooooooo"... It surprises me every time that she is talking so much. Lauren was a little slower talking than this. I think she was 27 or so months before she really became a chatter box. This just shows the difference I guess when there are older children and a lot more talking going on in the house. She learned to say "NO" recently too. That's a word Mommys don't really like them to learn. So far she only uses this new word for good things and not for naughty talking.

6. We had WW3 here at our diningroom table the other night. I started it by putting too much ketchup on Lauren's meatloaf. Lauren hadn't napped that day so it wasn't tough to upset her. She blew her top and that was it, a huge fit followed and lots of screaming and "NO"'s. It was one of those nights where we told her she had to eat some of her supper and she sat there in protest until we finally sent her to bed. Not a fun night overall. The next day she had a big talk with Jay and they decided that she would give up her barbies and her little stuffed puppy "bow wow" for a week. If she behaves herself she will get them back. Her temper has been getting pretty wild lately so we're having to show her we mean business. We threaten spankings sometimes but neither of us really has the heart to follow through. We both feel way too guilty after that. Compared to friend's children Lauren has had I think 2 spankings where others get them a lot more frequently. Perhaps we're wrong but for now that's where we stand there. I never thought I would ever spank my children but in the last year I have seen and totally understood how people do it. Yuck!!! I really am not enjoying the 3 year old independence thing. The worst part is I know she inherited her temper from me. I had an awful temper as a little one.

7. On with more happier events sort off. While writing this Lainey came over and wanted to sit on my knee. She had a really wet diaper so I took it off and let her sit with no diaper on me for a second. I told her she did a big pee. Then she said " pee pee", then she got down and ran to the bathroom and said "I go pee pee"!!!! Her first sentence really. So I took her in and popped her onto the potty. She spent most of her time pulling toilet paper off the roll and wiping her nose and then putting it in the toilet. No pee this time but she tried. Not sure I'm ready for another one on the potty just yet. Then on a not too fun note. She went and sat on the couch in just a diaper and I heard the velcro... I got to the couch too late, she had taken off her diaper and had a pee on the couch. Lots of fun for me. Luckily I caught it before it soaked into the cushion too much. The covers are washable. It's hard to be upset with her since I know she was trying to be a big girl. She know big girls take their diapers off to pee, just not on the couch. We'll have to work on that part....

Due to number 7 I think I'd better not write while the monkeys are on the loose.
Jay is off today and for the next week so we're going to be travelling around a bit. London area this weekend to see friends in town from halifax and some of Jay's family. Then off to visit my family for a couple days. We're hoping my parents will offer to babysit a little for us. That would be so nice.
Anyway, Hopefully I'll have more time to write this week.

1 comment:

SC said...

What a busy week! No wonder you didn't have time to write :) I love hearing about your world--all the ins and outs, ups and downs. It makes me feel like I'm there. My girlfriend has a three year old who is struggling with the same independence/temper/testing stuff. It sounds really challenging. I'm starting to realize that parenting is full of things we never thought we'd do/say.
That's hilarious that Lainey is such a little imitator. I can't wait to see her again. When things settle down and you get Lauren settled in school I think Soph and I might have to take a road trip to visit :)