Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Swimming Lessons

My girls have always loved to go to hotels when we are travelling about because they love to go swimming in the pools. I've been wanting to take Lauren to swimming lessons for awhile now but missed the sign up deadlines or especially in the days when Lainey was little not signed up since it meant me walking around in my swimsuit.

Well I've gotten over my phobia of shocking people with my white as a ghost, is she expecting again type body.... I signed both of the girls up for swim lessons on Sundays. Lainey has an 11 o'clock class and Lauren goes in right after. Jay came along too so he could sit with them when they are out of the water.

I took Lainey in for her class. Her level is called "ducks". She was sooooooo verrrrrry excited to get into the water. We got a lot of "Awwwwww's" and "oooooh someone's excited's" from parents of other kids waiting for lessons. She was wearing her little tie-die pooh and piglet swimsuit to add to the cuteness. Anyway, her class went pretty well. She loved blowing bubbles, not too crazy about the floating on her back section of class, and loved jumping off the edge into my arms. The only problem was that once in awhile she would start to cry and scream for "DADDY!!!!!". I would quickly distract her by getting her to blow bubbles and she would recover. Towards the end of class the teacher brought out some pool noodles, well that was about all she could take and she was ready to get out of the pool.... luckily we were almost done. The teacher saved her by getting out some rubber duckies and boats for the kids to play with, she liked that. I think all in all Lainey will enjoy her classes now that she knows what to expect.

Lauren's class was next, I handed off Lainey to Jay who she was happy to snuggle through the next half hour. Lauren only has 3 girls in her class. They are the "sea turtles", it's a level for 3-5 year olds that have never had lessons. Parents are optional, I agreed to go with Lauren until she is ready to go on her own. They stay in the water where they can all touch. (It was really fun for my when we stayed in the beach entry section right in front of all the parents watching lessons, good way to get the phobia out of the way... here I am..... he he he) Anyway, Lauren had so much fun, there wasn't an ounce of shyness. She was first to answer questions, tried everything even put her face in the water and blew bubbles, floated on front and back, she was so great. Part way throught the lesson she asked me why I was there, since she didn't think she needed help. The other Mom that was there and I may not go next week. I think once Lauren realized that she could touch the entire class she knew she was ok without me.

So my little babes are swimmers now. I'm really glad I finally signed them up. They both made me proud.

This Thursday Lainey and I start a little play class at the community center. I think we play games, sing songs and make crafts. It should be fun. I'll write about that one later in the week.

No comments: