Friday, May 25, 2007

First School Trip

Yesterday was a big day for Lauren. Her class is studying about pond life this month and so they had a school trip to a conservation area with a big pond. This was her first ever school trip and first ever bus ride. She was so excited about going on a trip. Back in the fall she was excited about the class's first trip to Cat World but she woke up that morning with the flu. That was a heartbreaker so it was even more exciting when she woke up healthy yesterday.

The day was even more fun because Jay stayed home for the morning to watch Lainey so that I could go with Lauren on her trip. (little brothers and sisters aren't allowed to participate on trips and classroom activities at our school) I was just as anxious as Lauren I think. I had been looking forward to a day away with my girl and her friends.

The trip started with a superlong bus ride. It should have taken 20 minutes but took about 40 when the driver got lost. That took away from our morning but we did make it.

Our class started at the big pond with buckets and nets. We got to all scoop tadpoles and bugs and whatever else they could find into the buckets. Our little group got to go to the one spot that had "a gazzilion" tadpoles. We had lots of them in our bucket. The one little boy I was in charge of scooped up a frog and showed him to me.... I was proud of myself for not screaming... I did tell him to put it back in though. :o) Another boy picked up a frog and gave it a big squeeze.... he wasn't looking too good afterwards. Poor froggie.

After the pond time we had a little snack and then took a little hike through the forest. I realized a lot of these kids really never get to see this kind of thing. Lauren is used to it going to my parent's place quite a bit. She loves walking in the woods there. It was really fun watching my girl with her class. She was listening intently to what the guide was telling us and acting so excited to see everything that she showed us. I also liked that she kept coming back to me to hold my hand.

Once we got back to school it was lunchtime so it was time to head home. Lauren was worn out from the excitement and I actually tried to carry her part way home but realized I was a bit tired too. We did eventually get home and found Lainey and Jay out front. Lainey was all excited and calling "Mommy!!!!" when she saw us coming up the street. I love it when they get excited when I come home.

So it was a nice little trip. I got to know a few more of Lauren's classmates and some more Moms and Dads too. It was so nice to have that bonding day with my girl.

2 comments:

SC said...

Sounds like your morning was reminiscent of going bogging (only a little more refined!!). :) xo

meghan said...

heh heh heh heh heh = i loved this! You, a soccer mom!!! Yay!

Just read your words though - your little girl that was too shy to go to school is involved in EVERYTHING! What a great year!