Saturday, November 25, 2006

Helping out at school

Yesterday I finally had the chance to help out at Lauren's school. Jay has Fridays off until the end of the year so I have volunteered to help in Lauren's class until Christmas holidays. Lauren has been after me since school started to come to school with her. She was so proud yesterday to have me there. I warned her that I would be working and couldn't just sit and play with her all morning. She was great about it. I spent a lot of time cutting out pieces of dinosaurs preparing for a craft they are doing next week. The rest of my time I got to assist the kids when they did a craft. They had to make a pattern with buttons on a little paper shirt. It was interesting to see how fast some of them (my girl included!) came up with patterns and how long it took some of them..... until we finally had to get them started. It was pretty cute. I also got to go out for recess where Lauren led me by the hand all around the playground and introduced me once again to all of her friends. This is when I found out my girl is a pokey puppy when she comes in and has to change into her inside shoes. I was pretty busy helping everyone but managed to help her a bit so she wasn't the last one to class this time. :o)

The class had show and share time. They are working on the letter R now so it had to be something that started with R. half the class brought rabbits. My monkey brought her "ribbon" that she got at the last dance class this week. (They had a little 5 minute show at the end of dance class... priceless.... all the pink ballerinas prancing around.... Lauren loves it)

I enjoyed my time at school.... it reminded me of my days working at camp... especially my craft director days. It was also nice to see Lauren in her school environment and too be able to see how great she seems to be doing. She's a bit of a teacher's pet from what I saw. I guess she takes after Jay that way. I was the shy quiet one that hid in the back hoping nobody would ask me questions or make me talk. Lauren was constantly putting up her hand, talking loudly, getting told to stop talking and listen once in a while, and of course sitting right up front for everything. It was pretty great.

When I got home I realized that I was worn out. I guess it was sort of like going back to work for the first time in 4 years. I loved it but it was nice to get home to my little Lainey. She's got a yucky cold and when I came home she ran to me all excited and then cried everytime she lost sight of me. It's always nice to be the one she is happy to see. Jay gets that every night so I enjoyed that.

I relaxed a wee bit and then once Lainey went to sleep I was off to Toys r Us to start up the Christmas shopping..... here we go! One month to go till the big day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow--sounds like you had a really neat day. I love that Lauren is thriving and doing so well at school--it must do your heart good.

And YOWZAA---one month today until Christmas!! You just gave me the prod that I need!!