Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Drama in the Playground

Lauren is in grade 1. This year we lucked out and there are only 11 kids in her class. Her teacher is amazing, she is reading, loves math, science and of course gym class. The thing that makes my heart ache is that she isn't a fan of recess anymore. Since the class is small and it is mostly boys she only has 3 other girls in it. Since day 1 she has been hanging out with 2 of those girls and she says they are the cool girls. Well these cool girls (mostly just one of them) aren't always the best of friends to Lauren. When I pick her up just one of the friends is around and plays really well with Lauren and Lainey. It's this other girl that seems to be an issue. She has an older sister so I wonder if that has something to do with how she acts. Apparently she stands around and tells Lauren and the other friend who is and isn't cool and which people she hates. (hate is considered a bad word in our house) This morning Lauren told me that her friends ran away from her and she couldn't keep up to them. Lauren says she wants to play with them because they are cool and her friends from kindergarden in the other grade 1 class act like little kids and do fun stuff. Personally I would rather she played with the kids doing fun stuff but she keeps going to the "cool kids".

Jay and I have talked her ears off trying to get her to understand that she is still a little kid and should be doing silly things at recess and having fun. We've told her that her friends aren't cool if they are mean to the other kids.. that's what bullies do.

It's really tough when I'm not there to protect her and help her during the day. This week is report cards and parent teacher interviews. I'm planning to talk to the teacher about what's been going on. She isn't outside at recess time or lunch hour so she may not have noticed. Hopefully my little pumpkin will start to enjoy recess again soon.

I was looking at old pictures of Lauren on the weekend when she was a sweet innocent baby. I thought things were tough then. This is so much harder... I want her to have lots of friends and to be outgoing and popular but I don't want her to be with people who are mean and treat others badly.

I'm looking forward to Christmas holidays so she can have some time away from the cool kids and more time with her loving family. Geez.. I can't believe this is only grade 1! I can't imagine what high school will be like!!!!!!

1 comment:

SC said...

That is SO hard. My heart aches reading that post. I can't believe how young it starts---nothing can prepare you for that--your child not being treated properly. I hope that this blows over quickly.

xo